Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Got GAME?

The time has come for me to stop over-analyzing my deficiencies in the classroom and start taking action.  While reflection is critical to learning from failures, it means nothing if solutions are not the result.  If I am to produce twenty-first century learners, I must have a GAME plan.  (Pun intended.)  I must set Goals and relevant, meaningful Actions to ensure that I am meeting the twenty-first century needs of my students.  Monitoring those actions will keep me from wasting time on strategies that simply aren't working for me.  When all is said and done, I must critically Evaluate the outcome to see if the goal was reached.  (Get it? GAME?)  Evaluation is not a simple "yes" or "no."  It will require critical analysis of why or why not.
When it comes to integrating technology into my curriculum, I got game alright.  However, there are a few areas in which I simply don't "bring it."  To get my GAME on, I will focus on the following ISTE standards:

The GAME Plan

Goals
While I know that I am progressive in my integration of technology, I need to step up my GAME (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009) in order to make my students' learning experiences relevant and meaningful.  By setting the following goals, I am recognizing areas that require more development and attention on my part.  Based on the ISTE-NETS Performance Indicators, I will:

  • Engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources
  • develop technology-enriched environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress
  • communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media
  • participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning
Actions   
It's one thing to set goals.  Putting them into action is another.  If I am to truly prepare my students for the twenty-first century, I have no choice but to jump in feet-first with the following actions:
Goal 1:  Engage students in authentic learning experiences using technology.
  • identify real-world issues and problems that are relevant to students' personal experiences
  • survey students as to their personal interests and experiences
  • research grade-level appropriate web tools, hardware, and websites that will best meet the needs of students
  • implement problem-based learning strategies to facilitate scientific inquiry and self-directed learning

Goal 2:  Develop a technology-rich, self-directed learning environment.
  • identify individual student learning styles using "What's Your Learning Style?" recommended by Edutopia
  • create Personal Learning Environments for students based on their individual needs using Symbaloo
  • provide students with direct instruction on the four steps of the GAME plan (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009)
  • guide students through the process of creating their own GAME plan
  • apply GAME plan to identified real-world issue or problem

Goal 3: Communicate with the school community using a variety of digital media.
  • create and share Symbaloo webmixes to support classroom content as needed
  • maintain and update class website on a regular basis (www.jklsciencelab.weebly.com)
  • create a JKL Middle School Science fan page to allow current and consistent communication with parents, students, and colleagues
  • share educational resources with parents, students, and colleagues to promote consistency of skills, strategies, and content implemented
  • use Edmodo as a social networking tool to communicate class news, updates, student work, and links of interest with students.
Goal 4: Participate in professional learning communities focused on the integration of technology.
  • actively seek local teachers interested in collaborating on grassroots, problem-based learning experiences using various technology tools to communicate (Laureate, 2010)
  • continue the current ePal relationship with our classroom partner in Australia
  • read and comment on educational blogs specific to the use of technology in education
  • attend the MACUL (Michigan Association for Computer Users in Michigan) 2012 Conference
  • apply to be a member of our district MiChampion team 
Monitor
In order to ensure achievement, I must monitor my actions (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009).  Monitoring is critical to achieving goals in that it keeps us on track.  It's especially easy to get "off track" when web tools and resources.  To keep from experiencing complete and total derailment, I will monitor my actions for each goal by answering following questions:

Goal 1: Engage students in authentic learning experiences using technology.
  • Are students engaged in the topic and motivated to learn?
  • Can students use the technology being used independently or with little guidance?
  • Are students demonstrating the ability to connect content to the real-world problem?
  • Am I allowing students enough freedom to seek out their own answers and solutions?
  • How often am I providing direct instruction?
Goal 2: Develop a technology-rich, self-directed learning environment.
  • Has each student successfully created a Symbaloo PLE?
  • Do the resources in each students' PLE support their identified learning style?
  • Can students identify and explain each step of the GAME process?
  • Did each students create their own GAME plan?
  • How did students apply their GAME plans to the real-world problem being explored?
Goal 3: Communicate with the school community using a variety of digital media.
  • Have I created a webmix for each unit/learning experience?
  • Is my class website up-to-date?
  • When was my class website last modified?
  • How often do I modify or update my class website?
  • How many fans does the JKL Middle School Science fan page have? 
  • Am I reaching parents, students, and colleagues equally with the fan page?
  • How often do parents, students, and colleagues post, comment, or respond to the fan page?
  • How often do I post, comment, or respond on the fan page?
  • How many educational resources have I posted on the fan page?
  • How often do I post educational resources on the fan page? 
  • Am I posting updates to Edmodo daily?
  • What am I posting to Edmodo?
  • Are students checking Edmodo daily?
  • Are students using Edmodo to communicate with both myself and their peers?
  • Are students abusing their rights to post on Edmodo?
Goal 4: Participate in professional learning communities focused on the integration of technology.
  • Have I found a local colleague to collaborate with?
  • What technologies will students use to collaborate and communicate?
  • Has a grassroots, problem-based activity been selected?
  • When was the last correspondence with our Australian ePal partners?
  • Is there a current collaborative project being worked on with our ePal partners?
  • What educational blogs am I following?
  • How often do I read educational blogs?
  • How often do I comment of participate in blog discussions?
  • Are you attending the 2012 MACUL conference?
  • Have I filled out and submitted the necessary professional development request forms?
  • Has my professional development request been accepted?
  • Am I a member of the district MiChampion team? 
Evaluate
TIme for the big question: Did I successfully meet my goals?  While the answer to this question is critical, I must reflect on whether or not my approach worked or if I need to modify my strategies in the future (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009).  In order to evaluate the "big picture," it is not necessary to break down the evaluation to each goal unless the goal was not met.  To kick off the evaluation process, I will ask the following questions suggested in the text Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use:
  • Have I met my learning goals?
  • If not, should I modify my goals or my learning strategies?
  • What will I do differently in the future?
The answers to these questions will undoubtedly lead to more detailed questions, as I identify specific actions that have been unsuccessful.  It's hard to say what the answers to these questions will be.  I can only hope that the answer to the first question is "yes."  (Seriously.)  It seems to me that if I follow through with the monitoring phase of the process and carefully answer and actively respond to each reflective question, I will inevitably successfully reach all of my learning goals.  However, I tend to be an optimist.  I have learned from "realist" friends that this will more than likely not be the case.  I know there will be the proverbial bumps in the road and it is my job to slow down, take notice and smooth them out. 

References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program Number Four: Enriching content area learning experiences with technology part 2 [Webcast]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore, MD: Author

10 comments:

  1. Heather,
    “The actions you take in the GAME plan for your students’ learning involve designing and arranging experiences that help them meet their learning goals” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 85). After reading your “Game Plan,” it is evident that you are definitely stepping up your game and by putting your goals into action, you will definitely be preparing your students for a successful future. As part of your action plan, you are using Symbaloo and Edmodo. Thank you for introducing me to each of these; I have heard of Edmodo prior but symbaloo is completely new to me. I set up my own Edmodo account today and look forward to utilizing this with my students. I also spent some time with symbaloo. I really think this is an excellent way of organizing materials for both myself and my students. I am very interested in this technology tool.
    I hope your GAME plan is a success and I wish you the best of luck. You have some excellent goals and I am sure your first answer of your evaluation questions will be YES!

    References
    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I really love your approach to setting your GAME plan! You have included a wide variety of strategies and tools that will, indeed, help you "step up your game."

    Could you please explain to me what symbaloo is? It sounds like Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer's (2009) description of a collaborative database, which they describe as an "environment that consists of text and graphical notes, all produced by students" (p. 57). Is this a correct evaluation of symbaloo?

    I'm also intrigued by edmodo--I've heard of it but have never used it. I will have to check it out. Sadly, since I've been in a less technology rich district this year, I have not been keeping up with the technology like I used to. This shows me I need to really be mindful to check for tools regardless of the technological status of my school.

    I think creating a class webpage is a great idea. Last year, I created a blog for my forensics class where I posted updates for parents, students, and staff regarding what was going on in forensics class. I posted pictures of my students doing work. The parents loved it, but rarely commented on the posts. It would be great to make your website interactive for parents and students. The link to my blog is below:

    http://sosnoskiforensics.blogspot.com

    I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor and I look forward to seeing your progress!

    -Nicole

    References
    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    Reading through your GAME plan, it is evident that you are committed to improving your teaching to benefit the needs of your students. Your goal is driven by your desire to prepare your students for their future through the use of 21st century skills and technology. Thank you for sharing your links and ideas with others. I hope everything in your plan goes in your favor, even if it doesn't I do not see you giving up. I admire your dedication to your profession and students.

    - Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I have to admit that I'm a total nerd when it comes to blogs and educational technology. I am like a little kid at Christmas when I see that there's a new comment on my blog. (Imagine how powerful this tool will be, if our students respond the same way!) I can't seem to get enough of it lately. However, I have learned the hard way this year to take it slow. I started the year off like gangbusters, leading to mass chaos. I most certainly did not have GAME:) I am a firm believer in learning from my mistakes and have since modified my approach to technology integration. I was inspired to slow down by a comment made in the article, "Evolution of a Web-Enhanced Course," that stated that the development of the website for the class took eighteen months. This reminded me to keep in mind the old addage, "Rome wasn't built in a day;" and neither is the effective integration of technology.

    While I spent the first two weeks of school having students create accounts to all of the tools we would be using this year, I discovered that Symbaloo, Edmodo and Google Docs were those we were using on a daily basis. Remember the movie, "What About Bob?" with Bill Murray? I keep hearing the phrase, "Baby steps, baby steps." To integrate, implement, and apply technology in the classroom effectively, baby steps must be taken. Seven weeks later, we are finally at a point where I can begin adding web tools - one at a time. Next up: Glogster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I created a blog post about Symbaloo and Personal Learning Environments. I have provided some additional resources that will hopefully help explain their intent and purpose. They both support and enhance self-directed learning. Creating PLEs is a great way to begin creating a hybrid classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea of surveying students for their personal interest and experiences. This will definitely keep them engaged in authentic learning. Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer (2009), stated that "authentic instructions is challenging" but if our students are working on a project that interest them and effects them personally they will be more inclined and motivated to understand the content.
    Your idea of creating a Science fan page can be a lot of fun. I have always had a blog for all my classes and the students really enjoy displaying their work in the blogs. The parents also love to see their child's work and allow them to keep updated with their ongoing projects.

    References

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blog Response: Heather Shores

    Heather, I wanted to speak to your second goal, that of making your environment enriched with technology. It was also one of my goals. I too had to get over a pity party (reference to the above introduction). I was stuck on the fact that I didn't have the right tools and tools for my children. This kept me from moving forward.

    The more I am involved with Walden University and the more I interact with my classmates, I am convinced that we are the few who are becoming technology literate and will be ready for the next phase of education. I say this to connect back to how I changed things in my room.

    A couple of things happened at once. First I made my own document camera. Then I begged the district for a projector in my room. After much negotiating, I got it. The make up of my classroom changed. My computer is no longer at my desk and facing a wall. It faces the classroom and is at the front. It is used invariably throughout the day. The next thing I did was to start scheduling as much computer time as I could. Thus I brought up that most teachers seem to still be caught up in the word-processor function. And so, I step into the room (because it is often empty) and my class is starting to use it once a week, sometimes twice.

    Coulter tells us that "the kid immersed in creative
    projects has a career in her future; the one
    responding to rote entry cues is more likely to
    be stuck in a lower-level job, if the job hasn’t
    already gone overseas (p.14)

    Thus, the message is just as you said. Stop getting caught up in what you think you don't know and begin to tackle a little step by step. This same point was made in our Laureate Education Inc. video on integrating technology (2011). A young teacher explained that she took three new ideas and attempted to familiarize herself with them throughout her day.

    Both of these ideas have stuck with me. Remember that as you integrate this technology it should be something that is needed for your content (Laureate Education Inc., 2011). It should be something that speaks to the learning of the subject, rather than simply the task of the skill.

    It really has been a pleasure conversing with you during this class and the last. Your creativity really shows in this blog!

    Thank you.

    References

    Coulter, B. (2008). Bridging the Gap with Technology. Connect Magazine, 22(2), 14-15.



    Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Promoting self directed learning with technology, part 1. [Video webcast]. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/ default. learn? CourseID=6072063&Survey=1&47=6819430&ClientNodeID= 984650 & coursenav=1&bhcp=1

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program Number Four: Enriching content area learning experiences with technology part 2 [Webcast]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore, MD: Author
    Date Modified: 9 Nov 11 10:35 PM MST

    ReplyDelete
  8. If there's two things I will not soon forget, they are:
    1.) Quit worrying about what you're not doing, and focus on what you are or can do. Make sure the technology is right for you and your purpose(s). Choose a technology to fit what you are already doing.
    2.) You can only do so much at one time, if it is to be effective. Slow down and take it one step at a time. Your life will be simpler and the integrated technology more meaningful and effective.

    Heather S.-
    I admire you drive and dedication in making things happen. Creating your own document camera?!? Amazing! Who could say no to someone who goes to such lengths? You clearly model creativity and resourcefulness when others might have just thrown in the towel. There is no doubt in my mind that your students watch you succeed using such qualities. The more I interact with you through discussions and blogs, I think we have a lot in common. I look forward to your next blog post and comments. (Besides I love seeing those rainbow pancakes everytime I check your blog. They simply make me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Response: Nihal

    Wow! This is such an awesome blog! It makes me feel like I need to go back to the drawing board. Which brings me back to my issue with my confidence when it comes to incorporating technology as great as your blog into my classroom. I know you suggessted above to stop worrying about what you cannot do but with such an emphasis on technology especially in a technology class it is a little imtimadating. The first stage of game plan is to set goals. This is true for both your own self-directed learning as well as your students' learning (Cennamo, Ross,& Ertmer). One of my main goals is to increase my profiecny thus increasing my confidence. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete