Tuesday, November 22, 2011

GAME Plan Monitoring: Time Out Already!

I feel as though my GAME has shifted to something resembling dodge ball.  While I am holding my own, I feel I am dodging more balls than I am throwing.  While I am not having any problems finding the information and resources I need, I am overwhelmed by the amount of information and resources I want to implement - like right now.  With the onset of the holidays, course work, and never-ending school work, I feel as though every day that passes by finds me scrambling to stay in the GAME.  Too bad life doesn't have "time outs."  I could sure use one right now.


I have always been ambitious with plans and ideas.  However, I am wondering if my goals and subsequent actions may have been a bit lofty.  Maybe I just need to set realistic target dates for each.  After all, I have successfully completed many of the action steps in my GAME plan.
GAME Plan Checklist: Completed Actions
  • Use Edmodo as a social networking tool to communicate class news, updates, student work, and links of interest with students.
I am using Edmodo on a daily basis to communicate announcements, general questions, and links of interest.  Students are completely engaged in the use of this tool and often remind me to post class information.
My class Edmodo page - invaluable for sharing quick links and announcements.
  • Create a JKL Middle School Science fan page to allow current and consistent communication with parents, students, and colleagues
  • Share educational resources with parents, students, and colleagues to promote consistency of skills, strategies, and content implemented
While I still have to get the word out to more parents and staff, the page is created and slowly accumulating followers.
JKL Middle School Science Facebook fan page.  Effective way to communicate with parents and colleagues.
  • Create Personal Learning Environments for students based on their individual needs using Symbaloo
  • Create and share Symbaloo webmixes to support classroom content as needed
Symbaloo is allowing my students to continually add learning resources to their PLEs as they progress through the self-directed learning matrices.  Resources are customized to their individual needs and interests.
School webmix shared with all students as an integral part of their Personal Learning Environments. 
I have also created a webmix specific to each matrix/unit for each grade level.

 GAME Plan: What Now?
While I feel I have a great advantage with the technology integration, there are a few "loaded" actions that I really need to manage.  They will require more time and planning than those already completed.  In order to be successful, I must set realistic target dates for implementing them.  As I look ahead, I see that project-based learning will soon be a topic of focus.  I think cutting myself a little slack and waiting to take action on my project-based learning goal until completing next week's assignments have been completed will provide much needed relief and sanity. 

I have learned that some steps take much longer than others and cannot be rushed if they are to be effective and successful.  I am becoming acutely aware of just how much planning and preparation goes into quality, self-directed authentic learning experiences.  While I was hoping to jump right in, I have decided it to be in my best interest (as well as my students') to take it slow.  I am busy working on "front-loading" materials, resources, and contacts as well as preparing myself to teach students the "how" of project-based learning. 

I have also learned that I tend to use project- and problem-based learning interchangeably, even though I know they are quite different.  However, in science projects are the result of solving a problem so I totally feel justified.  As I muddle through preparing for my big "debut," I have about a million questions running through my head.

 
How do I get students to choose topics that align to the standards?

How much guidance do I provide and still have it be "self-directed" learning?

Is every student really ready for this type of independence and responsibility?

How much time do I allow them to complete their projects?

Oh, and when in the world do I find time to decorate the house and shop for Christmas gifts?  I guess those are small potatoes, considering my students' education is ultimately my future.  I refuse to compromise any goals or actions simply because I'm feeling sorry for myself.  I know that every goal is attainable and every action doable.  It's time to wind 'er up and start throwing some balls!








4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    I tend to put myself in the same situation when it comes to learning new teaching strategies, whether it involves technology or not. Once I learn about something that can help my students, I want to incorporate as much of it as I can in a very short time! It can get very overwhelming trying too many new things at once. I think it's a great idea to set target dates for each. This way, you don't have to feel like you are working on too many goals at the same time.

    I agree with you that creating authentic learning experiences must be taken slow. As I attempt to create a meaningful learning experience for my students in ecology, I'm realizing how much work I must do and how much contact with community members I must do. This all takes a lot of time, which we often do not have much of anyway. You are right though, that we can't use that as an excuse. We need to do the work to provide our students with meaningful, authentic learning experiences--but we must pace ourselves to do it properly and effectively.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Heather the questions you presented at the end of your progress monitoring had me thinking about the seriousness of making sure that we are keeping our professional development in line with state standards and what we are being asked to teach in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole-

    I am just beginning an Ecology unit with my sixth graders. Have you come up with an authentic learning experience to try with your kiddos? I'm thinking of having my students create a wildlife management plan for the woods behind our school. This would require them assess species present, population statistics, and of course the relationships of those organisms. I'm hoping some students from the wildlife biology program at our local university will come help. Planning is so time consuming, yet so crucial. I hope I can pull this off. I'm curious to hear what you came up with. I feel my idea is not very exciting - or that there's something more out there that I'm not thinking of. Hopefully, the kids will

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather S.-

    It's such a crazy time in education. So many hoops to jump through - i's to dot and t's to cross. I'm really struggling with quality vs quantity in the classroom. Every fiber of my "teacher being" is screaming quality and depth of knowledge, yet state and core standards respond with quantity as represented by the content on high-stakes standardized tests. I'm going with my heart on this one for the sake of preparing my students for future careers. Hopefully the depth to which I teach will allow them to perform proficiently on such tests, regardless of the content.

    ReplyDelete